But when winter does decide to make an appearance in the sunshine state, we make the most it.
Opening all our windows to let in the fresh air,
prancing around the house in our socks & flannel pajamas,
curling up with our fleece blanket
and enjoying some delicious warming soup.
Considering almost all of us are now experiencing winter (as small or mighty as it may be), I wanted to share a simple lentil soup recipe with you.
You need very few ingredients, and it is healthy!
(also a vegan option)
Makes about 8 servings
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 1/2 large onion
- 6 medium carrots peeled
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 cups of water
- Rinse lentils and drain water
- Peel and cut all the carrots into small pieces
- Dice onions into small pieces
- Begin by sautéing the onions with one tablespoon olive oil in a large pot
- Continuously stir until the onions become translucent / yellowish
- Combine 6 cups water, lentils, and carrots with the onions
- Mix and add salt
- Cover pot and let it boil until carrots and lentils are tender (typically 10-15 minutes)
- Once carrots and lentils are tender, add 1 cup of water
- Lower the temperature and use a hand blender to blend all ingredients
- Once all blended together, add cumin
- & now ready to serve
(option: for more health benefit and taste, squeeze a little lemon juice when you serve it)
bon appétit & stay warm